Apply to this program through a central application. Review the sections below before you begin.
The Department's Graduate Admissions Committee requests the following materials from each applicant:
- A Graduate application;
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions of higher education;
- Graduate Record Examination scores;
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the candidate's academic abilities and professional potential.
- Separate application to the GGP Program Director for a graduate assistantship, if desired. The application for graduate assistantship is available at the Graduate College website.
Since no specific undergraduate major is required, some students may be admitted on a conditional basis if they lack sufficient academic experience to take the required core courses. In these cases, specific undergraduate courses may be required before full admission is granted. Undergraduates interested in this program are encouraged to include courses in cartography, aerial photography interpretation, statistics, chemistry, biology and environmental science. Calculus and physics may be required for studies in some areas of geology.
Accelerated Master's Degree option
Eligible Missouri State University undergraduate majors in Geography, Geospatial Sciences, Geology, and Planning may apply for preliminary acceptance into the Geography and Geology program after admission requirements for the accelerated masters option have been satisfied. If accepted, a maximum of 12 credit hours from approved graduate-level courses may be counted toward both the graduate and undergraduate degrees (Mixed Credit). This option allows students with advanced course work in Geography, Geospatial Sciences, Geology, or Planning to complete a masters degree in three full semesters and one summer semester. Students can choose from GEO 651, GEO 666, GEO 668, GLG 690, GLG 672, GLG 673, GLG 680. Contact the Department of Geography, Geology and Planning for further information and guidelines.
Admission Requirements for Accelerated Master's option
- Junior standing, majoring in Geography, Geospatial Sciences, Geology or Planning with an overall GPA of 3.25.
- Majors in Geology must have completed GLG 333 and have a GPA of 3.25 in all Geology courses. Majors in Geography and Geospatial Sciences must have completed GEO 561 and have a GPA of 3.25 in all geography and geospatial sciences courses.
- Acceptance of applicant by a graduate faculty member who agrees to serve as the student's graduate research advisor.