Dr. Melida Gutierrez
Geography Geology and Planning
Missouri State University
Geography Geology and Planning
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- PhD, Geohydrology, 1992, University of Texas in El Paso
- Postgraduate Studies, Environmental Science, 1984-1985, The Netherlands
- MSc, Biological Wastewater Treatment, 1977-1979, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
- GLG 580/680 Geochemistry
- GLG 110 Principles of Geology
- GLG 782 Contaminant Hydrology
- Reviewer for international journals, including Expl Geochem, Environ Monit Assess, Geol Soc Am Special Papers.
- College Committees: General Education rep. for GLG 110 Principles of Geology
- Department Committees: Geology curriculum, Faculty evaluation committee
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Gutiérrez, M., Qiu, X., Collette, Z. J., Lurvey, Z. T. (2020). Metal Content of Stream Sediments as a Tool to Assess Remediation in an Area Recovering from Historic Mining Contamination. Minerals, 10(247), 12.
- Alarcón-Herrera, M. T., Martin-Alarcón, D., Gutiérrez, M., Olmos, D. (2020). Co-occurrence, possible origin, and health-risk assessment of arsenic and fluoride in drinking water sources in Mexico: Geographical data visualization. Science of the Total Environment/Elsevier, 698(134168), 15. www.elsevier.com/locate/scitotenv
- Pearson, M.A., Biagioni, R. N., Gutiérrez, M. (2019). Geochemical fractionation of stream sediments impacted by Pb-Zn mining wastes: Missouri, USA. Mine Water and the Environment, 38(June), 378–384. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10230-018-0568-3
- Ibarra Jaime P., Rivas-Lucero B.A., Zuñiga G., Gutiérrez M. (2019). Preliminary list of flora established in the Río San Pedro - Meoqui wetland after seven years of its Ramsar designation. Tecnociencia Chihuahua, XIII(2), 5, Mexico.
- Gutiérrez M., Collette Z., McClanahan A.M., Mickus K. (2019). Mobility of Metals in Sediments Contaminated with Historical Mining Wastes: Example from the Tri-State Mining District, US
- Rivas-Lucero B.A., Gutiérrez M., Magaña E., Márquez F., Márquez W. (2018). Salt content of dairy farm effluents as an indicator of salinization risk to soils. Soil Systems, 2(4), 10. www.mdpi.com/2571-8789/2/4
- Gutiérrez M., Biagioni R. N., Alarcon-Herrera M. T., Rivas-Lucero B. A. (2018). an overview of Nitrate sources and operating processes in arid and semi-arid aquifer systems. Science of the Total Environment - Elsevier, 624(2018), 1513-1522. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.12.252
- Reyes-Gómez V.M., Gutiérrez M., Alarcón M.T., Núñez D. (2017). Groundwater quality impacted by land use/land cover change in a semiarid region of Mexico. Groundwater Management and Sustainability Elsevier 5, 160-167.
Research and professional interests
- Geochemistry of sediments contaminated with mining wastes
- Groundwater quality
- Water-rock interactions
- Sustainability of groundwater resources
- Environmental education
Awards and honors
- Invited keynote speaker for 50th Anniversary of the Farmers’ Union Union de Credito de Delicias A.C. Delicias, Mexico, 2015
- Invited keynote speaker for Dia del Nogalero Conference of the National Pecan Growers Association, Mexico, 2014
- CNAS (College of Natural and Applied Science) Research Award, 2013
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- International Geochemical Association
- American Geophysical Union