Dr. Douglas R. Gouzie
Geography Geology and Planning
- Ph.D. in Geology (Karst Hydrogeochemistry), 1986, University of Kentucky
- B.S. in Geology and Geophysics, 1981, University of Kentucky
- GLG 110 Principles of Geology
- GLG 350 Speleology
- GLG 358 Reporting Geological Information
- GLG 360 Directed Field Trips
- GLG 573/673 Engineering Geology
- GLG 799 Thesis Topics
Research and professional interests
- Geology and Public Health
- Environmental Geochemistry of Karst
- Environmental Science
- Quantitative Dye Tracing of Karst
- Sinkhole Development and Prediction
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
Johnson, Aaron W., Gutierrez, Melida, Gouzie, Douglas, and McAliley, L. Rex, 2016. State of remediation and metal toxicity in the Tri-State Mining District, USA. Chemosphere, v144, p1132- 1141, Elsevier. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.09.080.
Gouzie, Douglas, Berglund, James, and Mickus, Kevin, 2015. The Application of Quantitative Fluorescent Dye Tracing to Evaluate Karst Hydrogeologic Response to Varying Recharge Conditions in an Urban Area. Environmental Earth Sciences, v.74, p 3099-3111, Springer. DOI :10.1007/s12665-015-4348-0.
Berglund, James, Mickus, Kevin, and Gouzie, Douglas, 2014. Determining the Relationship Between A Newly Forming Sinkhole and a Former Dry Stream using Electrical Resistivity Tomography and VLF-EM in an Urban Karst Setting. Interpretation (Soc of Exploration Geophysicists & AAPG). V2, n3, p1-11, August 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/INT-2013-0064.
Gouzie, Douglas, Mickus, Kevin, and Mayle, Micah, 2014. Challenges to a Karst Dye-Tracing Investigation in an Urban Brownfields Area, Springfield, Missouri. In: Kuniansky, E.L., and Spangler, L.E., 2014, U.S. Geological Survey Karst Interest Group Proceedings, Carlsbad, New Mexico, April 29 – May 2, 2014: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2014- 5035, http://dx.doi.org/10.3133/sir20145035. p 44 – 53.
- Registered Professional Geologist
- Geological Society of America
- National Speleological Society
- American Geophysical Union
Awards and honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2016/2017
- Graduate College Fellow for Graduate Student Success, 2017/2018
- President, Missouri Section of American Institute of Professional Geologists, 2017
- Foundation Award for Service (two awardees university-wide), Missouri State University, 2013
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Executive Budget Committee, Missouri State University, 2010-2015