Dr. Kevin R. Evans
Geography Geology and Planning
Missouri State University
Geography Geology and Planning
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
- Registered Geologist (RG) Certification, State of Missouri, 2009-Present
- PhD, Geology, 1997, University of Kansas
- MS, 1989, University of Kansas
- BS, Geology, 1986, Missouri State University
- GLG 110 Principles of Geology
- GLG 314 Historical Geology
- GLG 360 Directed Field Trips
- GLG 570 Stratigraphy
- GLG 574/674 Petroleum Geology
- GLG 597/697 Selected Topics in Geology
- State of Missouri, Registered Geologist
- U.S. Geological Survey, 1994-2001
- Internships, Mobil and Shell, 1987, 1991 and 1993
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geophysical Union
- Geological Society of America
- Meteoritical Society
- Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM)
- Vice Chair, Missouri Geological Survey, Geologic Mapping Advisory Committee
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- CAUTHON*, M.J., ELSON*, J.D., LARSON*, M.O., EVANS, K.R., BASSETT, D.J., and MICKUS, K.L., 2014, Geology of the Jane 7.5-minute quadrangle, McDonald county, Missouri: Missouri Geological Survey Open-File Report—2014–104–GS, 29 p.
- EVANS, K.R., 2019, Hugh Miller (1802–1856): Scottish Geologist, Popular Writer, and National Hero: GSA Today, Rock Stars series, June 2019, p. 36-37.
- MILLER, J.F., EVANS, K.R., ETHINGTON, R.L., FREEMAN, R.L., LOCH, J.D., REPETSKI, J.E., RIPPERDAN, R.L., and TAYLOR, J.F., 2016, Proposed auxiliary boundary stratigraphic section and point (ASSP) for the base of the Ordovician system at Lawson Cove, Utah, USA: Stratigraphy, v. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 219-236
- EVANS, K.R., McKENNA, L.W., LIEBERMAN, B.S., WEICHERT*, W.D., and MacLEOD, K.G., 2018, Geology of the Nelson Limestone, Postel Nunatak, Patuxent Range, Antarctica: Antarctic Sciences, v. 30(1), 29-43.
- MILLER, J.F., EVANS, K.R., FREEMAN, R.L., LOCH, J.D., RIPPERDAN, R.L., and TAYLOR, J.F., 2018, Combining biostratigraphy, carbon isotope stratigraphy and sequence statigraphy to define the base of Cambrian Stage 10: Australasian Palaeontological Memoirs 50, pp. 19-64.
- MILLER, J.F., RIPPERDAN, R.L., LOCH, J.D., FREEMAN, R.L., EVANS, K.R., TAYLOR, J.F., and TOLBART, Z.C., 2015, Proposed GSSP for the base of Cambrian Stage 10 at the lowest occurrence of Eoconodontus notchpeakensis in the House Range, Utah, USA: Annales de Paléontologie, v. 101, pp. 199-211.
- MILLER, J.F., EVANS, K.R., FREEMAN, R.L., RIPPERDAN, R.L., and TAYLOR, J.F., 2014, The proposed GSSP for the base of Cambrian Stage 10 at the First Appearance Datum of the conodont Eoconodontus notchpeakensis (Miller, 1969) in the House Range, Utah, USA: GFF, v. 136(1), pp. 189-192.
* Student co-authors
Research and professional interests
- Geology of meteorite impact structures
- Sequence stratigraphy and syn-tectonic sedimentation (Antarctica, Great Basin, Jamaica and Missouri)
- Cultural geology
- History of geology
Awards and honors
- Provost's Fellow for Public Affairs, Missouri State University, 2018
- Provost's Fellow for Public Affairs, Missouri State University, 2014
- Missouri State Sabbatical in Wales, 2016
- Missouri State Sabbatical in Sweden, 2009
- Outstanding Service Award, Young Astronauts Constellation Club, 2006-2007
- CNAS Research Award, Missouri State University, 2005
- Shoemaker Award, U.S. Geological Survey, 2003
- Best Poster Award, SEPM, 1998
- Cash Awards, U.S. Geological Survey, 1998
- Cash Awards, U.S. Geological Survey, 1997
- Erasmus Haworth Award, outstanding PhD Geology, University of Kansas, 1992
- SEPM, Promising Young Geoscientist Award, 1991
- Antarctic Service Medal, U.S. Congress, 1990
- Erasmus Haworth Award, outstanding MS Geology, University of Kansas 1989
- W. A. Tarr Award, Southwest Minnesota State University, Sigma Gamma Epsilon, 1986
- USGS EDMAP Grant, 2020-2021, Geology of the Noel, Missouri 7.5-minute quadrangle
- MSU Faculty Research Grant, 2020-2021, Age and extent of Late Holocene raised shore platforms in southwestern St. Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica