Dr. Melida Gutierrez
Geography Geology and Planning
- PhD, Geohydrology, 1992, University of Texas at El Paso
- Postgraduate Studies, Environmental Science, 1984-1985, The Netherlands
- MSc, Biological Wastewater Treatment, 1977-1979, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
- GLG 110 Principles of Geology
- GLG 171 Environmental Geology
- GLG 580/680 Principles of Geochemistry
- GLG 597 Graduate Research in Geology
- GLG 782 Contaminant Geochemistry
Selected peer-reviewed publications
Reyes VM, Gutiérrez M, Nuñez D. Alarcon-Herrera MT, 2017. Groundwater quality impacted by land use/land cover change in a semiarid region of Mexico. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 5, 160-167.
Gutiérrez M, Wu S, Rodriguez J Jones AD Lockwood B. 2016. Assessing the state of contamination for a historic mining town using sediment chemistry. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol, 70, 747–756.
Johnson A, Gutiérrez M, Gouzie D, McAlily R, 2016. State of remediation and metal toxicity in the Tri-State Mining District, USA. Chemosphere 144:1132-1141.
Gutiérrez M, Wu S, Peebles J. Assessment of mine-contaminated sediments in southwest Missouri, J. of Soils and Sediments, 15, 189-197.
Reyes VM , Alarcon-Herrera MT, Gutiérrez M., Nuñez, D. 2014. Arsenic and fluoride in groundwater of an endorheic basin undergoing land use changes. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 68, 292-304.
Gutiérrez, M, Rubio-Arias H, 2014. Rainwater Harvesting in the State of Chihuahua: A sustainable alternative. Tecnociencia Chihuahua, 8(1), 1-6.
Research and professional interests
- Soil and water contamination
- Stream water quality
- Geochemistry of natural waters
- Geochemical modeling of carbon sequestration
- Earth science education
Awards and honors
- Invited keynote speaker for 50th Anniversary of the Farmers’ Union Union de Credito de Delicias A.C. Delicias, Mexico, 2015
- Invited keynote speaker for Dia del Nogalero Conference of the National Pecan Growers Association, Mexico, 2014
- CNAS (College of Natural and Applied Science) Research Award, 2013
- Reviewer for research papers to international journals, about 8 reviews per year: Exploration Geochemistry, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, and Geological Society of America Special Papers.
- Reviewer for research papers to several Mexican journals, e.g. Tecnociencia, Universidad y Ciencia, about 2 reviews per year.
- University Committees: Member of Multicultural Leadership Scholarship, Masters of Science Education, Professional Education Committee.
- College Committees: Undergraduate Research Day, Science Education
- Department Committees: Search committee for geology faculty hires, Geology curriculum, Faculty performance evaluation committee
- Facilitator of Project WET (Water Education for Teachers), about 1 workshop per year
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- International Geochemical Association
- American Geophysical Union